The History of Shiloh United
On January 20, 1869, a number of members of the United Brethren in Christ
residing in the neighborhood of White Oak Forest, in Washington County, met
for the purpose of forming themselves into a religious association under the
laws of the State of Maryland.
On motion, it was unanimously resolved that those attending this meeting and
others form themselves into a religious or Christian affiliation to be
styled “The Trustees of Shiloh Church of the United Brethren in Christ.”
Shortly thereafter, they met again to plan for the construction of a church
building. One acre of land was bought from Samuel and Catherine Hoover at a
cost of $150.00 The church was built in 1869 and dedicated February 13, 1870
by Bishop Weaver. The total cost of the structure was $2,917.24.
The first major improvement to the original building was the addition of a
tower with a bell in 1922. In 1939, an addition for educational and social
purposes was added. In 1952, a modern kitchen was added and in 1956, another
addition comprised of divided classrooms was made. In 1968, a vestibule and
new bell tower were added.
Because of the merger of two denominations, in November 1946 the church
became Evangelical United Brethren. And in 1968, a merger with the Methodist
denomination created the current Shiloh United Methodist Church.